HOCODI – Uganda
Holistic Community Development Initiative Uganda (HOCODI-UG) is a nonprofit Community Based Organization that was established in 2011 with a goal of advocating for rights of marginalized categories of people including members of LGBTQI , youths, persons living with disabilities and persons living with albinism.
The mission of Holistic Community Development Initiative Uganda is to dialogue with Church leaders and government so that respect , compassion, justice and sensitivity for every LGBTQ+ sisters and brothers become the hallmarks of community , Diocese and parishes.
We gather monthly to pray, support one another, share life experience and look solutions together to our problems. We want to part of a Church that loving and respectful of all , particularly those marginalized by our society.
HOCODI is duly registered and activities include:
- psychosocial support to members of LGBTQ community
- Creation of moments of LGBTQ fellowship and support
- Creation of safe spaces for LGBTQ community
- Increase awareness to combat homofobia
ETHOS and VALUES:
- Inspired by the Gospel of our Savior Jesus Christ and Ecumenical Orthodox – Catholic Church social justice tradition, we respect the intrinsic human dignity and equal value of all God’s children ( people ) , regardless of their sexual orientation, gender identity, relationship status, or sexual characteristics. We envision an Orthodox – Catholic Church where all people can live, work, worship and minister with one another harmoniously and contribute to the health and wellbeing of everyone.
- Our faith as HOCODI-UG members calls us to challenge all forms of discrimination in all structures and to advance the equality of LGBTQ+ persons . Civil and Church law must value their human rights and freedoms, not diminish or deny them. Any law or Church practice that oppresses , restricts , punishes or harms members of LGBTQ+ is contrary to the Gospel.
- We affirm the spiritual gifts and lived experiences that LGBTQ+ persons bring to the people of God. We value open, sincere and respectful dialogue based on the encounter with individual persons and communities in the spirit of reconciliation.
- We affirm the goodness and holiness of sexuality as a gift from God to help us become closer to our beloved , to the divine and to ourselves. We recognize that sexuality touches the most valuable parts of our identity and needs to be expressed in ways that are generously loving and compassionate.
- HOCODI-UG represents diverse sexual orientations, gender identities, and expressions and backgrounds. HOCODI-UG members are united by a shared Christian faith which calls us to pray, and work to ensure that LGBTQ+ persons and their friends and families have full and participative membership in all areas of our Church.
- As members of HOCODI-UG we stand in solidarity and prayer with one another through our varied experiences , struggles and opportunities. In that same spirit , we commit ourselves to Ecumenical cooperation and interfaith dialogue on LGBTQ+ issues.
GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
- Prophecy and Justice: We acknowledge , support and lift up the voices of LGBTQ+ people and all who are marginalized including persons living with albinism, women, youths, orphaned and vulnerable children , persons living with disabilities, sexual minorities, in our church and society. We advocate for those who suffer from violence , persecution, prejudice and criminalization because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. We foster a culture of equal rights , inclusion and acceptance. We promote the equality of women in our organization.
- Dialogue: We work to connect LGBTQ+ Orthodox – Catholics and other faiths with one another with wider churches. We promote dialogue with church leaders and lay people to facilitate pastoral practices , theological reflection and doctrinal development.
- Inclusion: We respect the different cultural experiences that LGBTQ+ people meet across the global especially Uganda where homophobia is at its peak. We aim for fair representation of peoples from all regions of Uganda and cultures in church , society and in our own organization. We develop a culture of inclusivity and understanding in our organization. Among our members we support collaboration, developing resources and sharing ideas and best practices.
- Spirituality and Faith Development: We share our spiritualities , sensibilities and Faith with one another, with other LGBTQ+ people and the whole Church. We strive to educate the EOCC leadership, institutions and audiences about the spiritual gifts that LGBTQ+ people bring to the church. We encourage the church to love, support and welcome pastoral activities that respect the diversity of LGBTQ+ spiritualities and reach out to LGBTQ+ people who feel alienated from the church.